Its Sunday – our hopeful day for discharge. Bags are packed and home TPN shipment has arrived. Emerson didn’t have a particularly stellar night, though, & labs this morning were marginal. There was much discussion at rounds & the surgeon, after silent thought, said today isn’t the day. Eme should stay…
I picked my hopes up off the floor & sighed. Indeed it feels like we’re rushing her through this one. It is Christmas time, & while our hearts know the season, her little body does not.
Upon further discussion, though, we decided to go – while it is true that Emerson isn’t where we’d like her to be, the likelihood of things looking much different tomorrow morning is slim. Two weeks is an incredibly short admission for her; she typically stays 2 months. She probably needs another week or two, and if it weren’t Christmas, we would probably stay. We talked through different scenarios, though, and the surgeon ultimately said she trusts my instincts and my ability to care for Emerson at home – worst case scenario, we’ll come back.
In all, & has become the standard for discharge lately, Emerson is “good enough” (sort of). So for today… we are headed h*o*m*e. Bradley is with us & we’ll pick up Collin from the airport on our way. At about 9:30pm this evening MST, we should all be together. There’s no place like home for the holidays!
Thank you for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers.
Merry Christmas & God Bless.